See Better While You Sleep in Maryland
Orthokeratology, also known as Ortho-K, is a method for temporarily reshaping the cornea with custom contact lenses in order to correct myopia. While you sleep, the specially-designed contact lenses will reshape your cornea (which is the front surface of your eye), allowing you to see clearly the next day without any lenses. These lenses are used to correct refractive errors, including nearsightedness, astigmatism, hyperopia, and presbyopia, and also to slow the progression of childhood myopia.
Who is a Good Candidate for Ortho-K?
The majority of patients with mild to moderate myopia are good candidates for orthokeratology. The corneal reshaping that occurs with the overnight contact lenses is temporary, and therefore you can discontinue wearing the nighttime lenses at any time. Orthokeratology is an effective alternative to LASIK and other vision correction surgeries. Orthokeratology is also helpful for patients who engage in activity that is problematic for contact lenses, such as contact sports or dusty work environments.
Ortho-K for Athletes
Athletes at all levels use Ortho-K to restore their vision.
- Ortho-K allows athletes to have perfect vision all day long without the need for glasses or contacts.
- Athletes no longer need to worry about spare pairs of glasses or contact lenses.
- Ortho-K improves confidence during competition and eliminates dry eye symptoms caused by daily contact lens wear.
Athletes often find it difficult to wear contact lenses while playing sports, including:
- Rock Climbing
- Scuba Diving
Ortho-K versus LASIK
Ortho-K has been FDA approved since 2002 and has gained significant popularity in recent years due to the number of doctors now trained fit ortho-k lenses. Unlike LASIK, Ortho-K requires no surgery whatsoever. As a result, Ortho-K is a preferred treatment over LASIK.
- LASIK requires that a patient’s vision remain stable for several years and you must be at least 18 years old.
- LASIK is a surgical procedure with risks. There may be negative side effects that are permanent.
- Complications from LASIK include halos from lights, glare, dry eye, and in some instances impaired vision.
Ortho-K is a great treatment for patients of any age, including adults, teens, and children. Ortho-K can provide young athletes clear vision without any permanent complications that may result from LASIK.
- Ortho-K works for patients of all ages, even those under 18 years old.
- Ortho-K can help control myopia progression in children.
- Ortho-K has no post-operative pain, and thus no post-operative medications are needed, such as steroids or antibiotics.
- Ortho-K is significantly less expensive than LASIK.
- Unlike LASIK, which is irreversible, Ortho-K can be completely reversed simply by no longer wearing the Ortho-K lenses.
Serving orthokeratology patients throughout Maryland
- Owings Mills
- Silver Spring
- College Park